Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Free shuttle from airport to downtown SLC



Faced with a five hour layover at the Salt Lake City airport, we discovered the Morman church runs a free shuttle to Temple Square. We got a short tour of the Conference Center and the North Visitor Center, a discount coupon for the four restaurants on the grounds, and a ride back to the airport. It was an interesting diversion, certainly better than sitting in the airport. It was sort of like a Mormon Disneyland - everything spotlessly clean, everyone cheerful. The Conference Center has a hall that seats 21,000 people and has amazing acoustics. Sort of like the Great Hall of the People, Mormon style. Everyone was very nice, we went with our eyes open - no danger of being converted - and our guides were true believers at Temple Square for their 18 month mission.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've been there and definitely done THAT! So, did you research your genealogy while in the Dubious Republic of Smug Retro-Christians?

    When I read your first sentence, I interpreted it to be "Free Salt Lake City!" and not what it turned out to be.

    Remembering the history of the Mormon church and its prior attitude towards African-descended folks, I still find it less than charming. At its core it is corrupt, racist and probably anti-feminist. But glad you enjoyed
    the propaganda. They do put on a good show.

    On to happier topics--My family really enjoyed your visit. I had a
    great time making Joan laugh (I got a few belly laughs out of her, even).
    And, Steve I really do appreciate your friendship and the bond we share--who knew it would deepen and last these 40+ years? I realize that of the two of us, I am far more maudlin and prone to gently patting your head (which
    should be interpreted as "I like you.") Thanks for patiently putting up with it.

    And, you both are right--we need to commune together more
    frequently. Alaska in 2007? Or Hong Kong? Or Costa Rica? I know Dana and Rachel would tag along readily.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.