Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Is John Henry Browne really Eddie Haskell 50 years later?

I finally figured it out. About 9:15 tonight the name Eddie Haskell bubbled up in my brain and I knew why. John Henry Browne. Actually, with Google's assistance, I discovered that Leave it To Beaver began on CBS on October 4, 1957, so this month is the fiftieth anniversary of the show. For those of you who didn't watch tv in the 50's and 60's, here's what Wikipedia says about Haskell:


Even today, the phrase "Eddie Haskell" is known to refer to an insincere brown-noser. . .He was known for his neat grooming—hiding his shallow and sneaky character. Typically, Eddie would greet his friends' parents with overdone, good manners and often a compliment such as, "That's a lovely dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver."


It's the parts in italics that I was thinking of. I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to base any of the "shallow and sneaky character" parts of this description to Kohring's attorney. And after 50 years, I'm sure he's had time to work through all that.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Eddie Haskell. That is a vivid memory. I must try to catch some interviews with Mr. Browne to see how the comparison holds up.
    (Unfortunately, I do remember Eddie Haskell and Leave It To Beaver.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.