Friday, December 07, 2007

Kott Trial - Kott's Statement

Kott's statement to the court was brief and while he apologized for what he said "away from the floor" [on the tapes?], he didn't seem to think he'd done anything wrong as a legislator. My notes (again, typing not as fast he as was talking, but it will give you an idea of the statement)

I want people of AK to know I’m deeply sorry for my actions and words. All my actions [in the legislature], I truly felt I did in the best interests of the State of Alaska. My statements away from the floor of the legislature, I deeply regret and apologize. I hope that the opinion of me will soften over the years. Always been my goal to bring out the potential of the state. To the court I apologize for being here and taking up your time.


I'm sure the Anchorage Daily News will have it more accurate. They and APRN and others may already have the audio up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just glad that trial is over. I was watching it closely but his whole family seemed like a bunch of attention whores. Could Kott have faked contrition? Just a little bit? Of course public view will soften-- we'll soon forget about him unless he tries to make headlines again and than all this will come up again.

    If insanity is no defense in Alaska (not REALLY) why would he be trying to make alcoholism the problem? Did you read the letters in his defense? Nauseating. Non-public officials would be humiliated over those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, Not sure if this is what you were asking, but time spent at a prison alcohol program counts toward getting out early. Thus the defense asked the judge to ask for that as part of the sentence and the prosecutors objected. The judge said he would not make the request.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.