Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lineated Barbet and Mystery Bird

Thursday, Feb. 28, 2008 12:20am

At lunch at the same place as yesterday, the white crested laughing thrushes were gone, but this bird was there instead. But I can't figure out what it is.



I thought maybe a minivet, but the colors are definitely not right and I'm not sure of the shape. But it certainly modeled nicely for us, showing all sides for anyone who really knows their Thai birds.


When I got home, I heard a bird calling from not too far and there was this largish bird sitting on the bare tree top a 100 yards away or so. With the binoculars it was very clearly visible - yellow orange beak, yellow rings around black eyes, and the wings and back green like a parrot.
It was fairly easy to narrow this one down in the book. And when I then googled lineated barbet images, it was clear that was what it was. It was there quite a while, but just out of range for a good picture. Here's a picture showing the overall setting, and then one greatly enlarged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.