Monday, February 18, 2008

Overnight in the Farmers House

Monday, February 18, 10:50pm [I decided to leave blogger to do its own time stamping and that I would try to add my local time and date at the beginning of the posts.]

[You can see the details on the pictures much better by double clicking on them.]


After the fair we walked back to the house we were going to stay with the honor, who had whiskers on his chin and a warm smile with bright eyes. He opened the mats where we were going to sleep, pulled out some sheets and blankets, pillows, and giant green mosquito net. I was pretty wiped out and climbed into bed. But the wife brought out a tray of food at 11pm. You can see Doc and the Farmer eating, shot through the green mosquito net.

We laughed because Doc was cold and I said I was warm. We guessed at the temperature - it was 25C or 77F. Outside that sea of air we walk through hit us now and then with a cool current. But I got up first in the morning and you can see Doc still snoring in the mosquito net.

You can slso the wife (sorry I don't have her name and would probably not use it if I did - and yes, I did ask permission to post the pictures) cooking breakfast - the one in the video a couple of posts ago. Across is a picture of her grand daughter getting ready to ride her bike to school. I got a couple of her drawings which were pretty remarkable for a seven year old. I gave her the camera and she took the picture of Doc sitting alone at the table.



Finally there's a picture of one of the villagers sitting with Doc. M had collected surveys for Doc's doctoral dissertation about the villagers and their relationship with the new factories.




I took a short walk and got this rice paddy, the corn that is being grown for Cargill Coporation, this weed which they all said was medicinal, and the viscious guard dog on the bridge.


I'm really tired and need to go to bed. I'll do more about Friday morning in another post. But I do want to say that going out there was both personally and for work, a great thing to do. I have a much better understanding of the sophistication of the farmers as well as how well the organization is doing. Doc was clearly a favorite of many of the people we saw. You'll see in the next post on this the posters they had made which show their way of life, all the different vegetables and herbs they grow, what things the women of the village do, and even the seeds from all they grow.

As I close this off, J should be at the airport, even on the plane in LA for her long, long trip here. Just got an email from my mom who is back from taking her to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.