Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Morning Birds - Black Crested Bulbul


It's at times like this that I'm jealous of whatever camera Anonymous has at Bird Anonymous. But I've left my ancient pentax and telephoto lens at home because the Canon Powershot fits in my pocket and I can have it conveniently with me all the time. But still, times like this I wish I had a better camera. My pics here are only to help me document that I saw them and to help identify them and I leave the fantastic close ups to Anonymous and the lucky times a bird lands on my nose.

So, here are some sketchy shots from our fourth floor balcony of today's visit by the Black Crested bulbul. Also saw to greater racket tailed drongos fly by. Thought maybe they were the ones making the the two toned doorbell like call in the video. But a little googling got me to Dave Farrow's incredible pages on SoundSnap which have different calls for that drongo.

So turn on the video and listen to the bird calls while you look at the bulbul shots. And you can go here for some better shots of the black crested bulbul.







It's in the middle, just to the left on the branch in the middle of the tree. You can double click all of these to enlarge them a lot.

6 comments:

  1. Black crested bulbul is nice bird!
    Is it true that the word 'bulbul' means bird in the Indian language?

    There are so many different types of Bulbuls all over Asia and it is such an interesting word. I would appreciate knowing the derivation of it.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    That is the very special Drongo with the strange and exotic tails!
    What a great bird to have of your life list! I am enviois! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Australians think Bulbuls are natives due to their number here, not knowing they were introduced. They are still a beautiful bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I use Canon Powershot S3 - just take LOTS of photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, I finally got to google the Canon Powershot S3. Wow, yours and mine both may be called Powershot, but you've got the motorcycle and I've got the bike. Looks like the difference is 3X optical zoom vs. 12X optical zoom AND the stabilizer. That certainly makes your great pictures understandable.

    Now, how much of this is in your backyard and how much is this elsewhere. I want to come see your backyard.

    But the price difference isn't that much. But I don't think I could quite get it into my pocket like I can mine. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! There is another new Powershot out now also ... not sure. It's a great camera especially if it gets knocked about climbing rocks etc. However too big for a pocket; I carry a small pack on my back with camera around neck at all times.

    HAHA, I began within the fenceline of my backyard only, but it becomes repetitive because a new visitor only rarely arrives. There are lots of birds but generally all the same ones. SO the other birds are all photographed within a 20 minute drive radius of my home. Most are a lot closer on the Northern Beaches and all in Sydney, Australia :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.