Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Feels Comfortable Here


We pulled up to our place and Pop, the manager, was there to greet us and make sure everything was ok. We did some unpacking and eventually got ready to go out and get some things we needed - like soap and hangers and toilet paper. Pop was wearing a jacket the whole time and I teased him about it. Then wandered down the soi (soi's are streets coming off the main road - usually they are referred to as Thanon Suthep (Thanon means road) Soi 1, Soi 2, etc.)





It felt like we had just gone away for the weekend, not eight months.



There are some changes, most obviously some large buildings at the university are now completed. But the streets are basically the same, if maybe a bit more crowded.



The phone shop - they're everywhere - was informative. There are three different brands competing. They all have promotions (that's now a legit Thai word). He suggested a brand. You get unlimited calls, if the person you call has the same brand. But the first plan I had a couple of years ago was much easier to use and control - 1 Baht per call between 5am and 5pm. In the end I said I'd have to check to see which brands my friends were using.





















This is the main drag along the southern side of Chienag Mai University.



We were told that tomorrow is graduation at the University and that the king will be there. I'm guessing these flowers are there for the king.

And so are these newly painted curbs.

On the way home we stopped at Ek-Ah-Saw-Wah - the restaurant we saw being built last year. It's got a little more landscaping in. We sat outside, and while I didn't shiver, I could feel the cooling air. But the food was delicious. We ate it all up.

Last year it took nearly a week to find a place. Today we're settled from Day 1. I'm sure glad all this hstle and bustle

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safe and sound. I'm so looking forward to your posts as last year I felt like I was there too. It's a virtual trip for this reader.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.