Friday, June 05, 2009

Hungarian High School Geography Exam

Ropi is a Hungarian high school student who blogs. (I'm not sure if his blog is still open to everyone. You can check.) He's getting close to graduation and recently posted his geography exam. Some of it seems relatively easy, some pretty hard. Some has local stuff, but most is world wide issues. AND it's in English, because he takes many of his classes in English, not Hungarian. Here are a couple of the questions. How would you do on it? The can get a pdf of the whole exam here.

If you're having trouble reading this, double click
the graphics to get bigger, clearer version.




Any US high school students want to comment on whether they are doing equivalent work? Or students from anywhere in the world?

4 comments:

  1. OK, I've been out of school for quite a while now, but dang - I need to refresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Switzerland and went to high school in the 70s. We did similar exams. Definitely needed to 'use your noodle'!

    In sixth grade, we had to draw any whole continent with its countries and it capitals - on a blank piece of paper. Same with Switzerland: draw it onto a blank piece of paper, put in all the different capitals from the different States (Cantons), and the major mountains and rivers, etc.
    Needed to know the major manufacturing of each country, what the countries produced, how many people lived there, etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just checked a bit more into the complete test. Brings back fond memories of my high school experience!
    I would say this is a typical test - at least it WAS a typical test in Switzerland some 30+ years ago...
    I home schooled our kids after 6th grade, and they definitely would know how to answer most of these questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you actually picked one of the easiest sheets. I had 1 mistake on the 1st one (4) and I think I had no mistake in the 2nd and in the 3rd. It wasn't a difficult exam in general. In the previous years it was more difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.