Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wisdom Springing out of the Garage

Sometimes too much of a good thing becomes problematic. My mom has always been careful about not wasting things and so many things got stored in the garage just in case she might need them. And she was often able to say, I've got just what you need and come out of the garage with the needed item. The one limit to storing things was that the car needed to fit in the garage. But her garage has been an inspiration for us to clean things out in our house. So, not without some conflict I was allowed, with close supervision, to clean parts of the garage while we've been here. Don't get me wrong, I know that things get harder to do when you get older and since my mom worked until just a couple of years ago, she didn't have that much extra time or energy to keep the garage cleaned out.



I'm afraid you have to look closely to see that there is a lot more space on this side of the garage. A lot has been thrown away, consolidated into smaller boxes, and/or given away. Some is still waiting to be given away.






Among the things we found were these little envelopes.








And these badminton rackets.













And these old magazines. I'm sure that someone would find use for these three things so I took pictures and posted them on Craigslist today. The people who can use these things haven't been reading Craigslist today.





I also came across this book I bought in Thailand long ago called Teaching Dhamma By Pictures: Explanation of a Siamese Traditional Buddhist Manuscript by Ven. Buddhadasa Bhikkhu. There are 47 pictures which are explained. "Wisdom Springing Out of the Mud" is just one of them.






And this spider.

1 comment:

  1. I am very familiar with those little envelopes... back when I was a summer camp administrator in the Poconos, I used to get a big bag full of them (filled with pills and labeled with names and directions) any time I took campers on a trip out of camp. I always dreaded finding an extra one at the bottom of the bag at the end of the trip -- it could only mean I'd forgotten to give someone her Ritalin or Concerta or Claritin.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.