Saturday, January 30, 2010

Juneau Douglas City Musuem




 I stopped in the City Museum last week and wanted to share a little peek. 

The museum is between the Capitol (the big brick building on the right) and the State Office Building (where I took the picture from.)  It's that yellowish building. 



The current exhibit had the kind of work I tend to like, though I got the sense that the volunteer who showed me around was less enthusiastic.  Bright colors, whimsical messing around with reality.  Challenging how people think about things.  By local artist Dan DeRoux.  


  

 
The upcoming exhibit is called 12X12 and anyone can enter.  But whatever you do has to be the dimensions of 12 inches X 12 inches.  You can even add a third dimension, but it has to be 12 inches too.


And as this was being explained, local artist Dianne Anderson (I think that's right, but I may have gotten it wrong) was registering - entry fee is $12.12 - and dropping off her entry. 


There was also this big picture by the door and Dianne explained to me it had been in the Holy Trinity Church, which burned down in 2006 and has been rebuilt and is ready for opening soon.  This picture (and a couple of others) had been sent Outside for cleaning and so were saved from the fire.  They are resting in the museum until the church opens.  I'd like to tell you that I did the reflection for effect - except the effect is terrible.  But you can get a sense of the picture.  There was no place I could stand without getting lots of reflection.  And my powershot doesn't have a polarizing  filter. 


 
We met a friend at the museum today and then went to lunch.  But while we were there I saw this picture of Joseph Juneau, Juneau's namesake.  So I thought it worthy of posting.  The Joseph Juneau link is to findgrave.com, and it says he's in the Evergreen Cemetery here, so you can expect to see a picture of his grave if I find it.  


There's also historic stuff in the museum and a giant topographical model of the Juneau area created in 1967.  Expect more some other time. 

6 comments:

  1. To be honest I dislike art galleries but I like historic museus or where there are objects and not paintings. Somehow I just don't have grasp for art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the title of this post... Everyone else in Alaska already thinks we're biased!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    It is the Juneau Douglas City Museum, not Anchorage Douglas.....

    They have a lot of interesting things in their collections. I don't know if your guide told you, but this building used to be the city library before it moved to the top of the parking garage near where the cruise ships dock. The current library has one of the best views of any municipal library ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kds and Bear Woman, Yikes, the brain plays strange tricks. I've fixed it. Sorry Juneau folks. I'd have acknowledge my mistake by using the strikeout through the Anchorage and then adding Juneau, but I haven't figured out how to use html in the titles.

    I hope some of today's pictures of Juneau will make up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Trinity Church is actually already reopened for services. You should come on down the hill for a tour. We can tell you lots more about the paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. InJuneau, I'll be there for a tour! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.