Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hooper Bay Student's Job Shadowing Trip to Juneau

Now, if I had a degree in journalism I'd have gotten her name spelled out and a little more information about the program she's on.  But I don't and I didn't.  I'm not proud of this, but it's how it is and so I'm posting this as is.  She does tell us her name in the video, but I'm sure I'll mangle the spelling.  And I didn't see Rena Delbridge, the reporter she was shadowing when I met her, of the Alaska Dispatch today.  And I'm trying to get my stuff up reasonably close to when I shot it.  But isn't she great?

She'll tell you who she is and what she's doing in Juneau on the video.








[Thursday afternoon: I ran into her again today when I stopped by Gavel to Gavel to check out there place and some questions I had. She's shadowing their producer today. And we decided that she really didn't need to have her name up beyond what is in the video.]

1 comment:

  1. It's ok Steve- :-)
    This young lady did a pretty good job filling in some of the blanks.
    I don't understand the whole Career Connections program SERRC runs but my workplace regularly participates in two pieces of it.
    The larger job shadow program is for young people who feel they have a fairly clear direction about what they want to do. They spend at least 20 hours shadowing, and actually working, depending on the job. We answer as many questions as possible and try to give them a realistic view of what the job/career entails .
    It sounds like this young person is participating in the more general-exposure to ideas and options for careers part of the program. That's fun, from our side too. The kids get a sense of the basic and/or advanced skills a job requires and an overview of a broad variety of occupations.
    This session I was amazed at how well prepared and enthusiastic the young people were as regards how to assess their own skills and interests in relation to the if-I-was-trying-to-get-a-job-with-you questions they had. Someone has done a great job preparing them to think about what they might really want to do with themselves .
    A strange sidebar to me was that the school most of these kids we hosted this time came from was in Alakanuk- one of the overcrowded structurally damaged schools featured in news reports this week of Governor Parnell's trip with Legs to view rural schools in need of replacement.
    It made me appreciate these kids even more, their teachers and parents as well. They have achieved a great deal . They need a new school.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.