Saturday, March 20, 2010

It really is spring on the equinox in Juneau

I had a noon meeting that got canceled so I can play around with these. I did go for a run first. It's the equinox today, and unlike in Anchorage, it is spring in Juneau.

The peonies are already poking out of the ground.


I'm not sure what these are, but they are spring like.  I did try to find the name.  Instead I was humbled, by Nature's Shutterbug's spectacular spring flower pictures from California.  It's definitely worth looking at the slideshow.  And Shutterbug knows all the names too. Maybe someone will leave the name of these in a comment. [They are Chinodoxa, a/k/a Glory of the Snow. Thanks GGinWI.]


And I've put pictures of the crocus up before. They are still here, still opening during the sunny days and closing every night.

So, after checking on the flowers, I went off up the hill.




It takes me about 20 minutes running (a generous descriptor) uphill to get to this spot from our place. Is there any question why I love Juneau? Downtown starts behind and below that ridge in the middle, left. The snow capped mountains in this picture are across the Gastineau Channel.   Basin Road/Perseverance trail snakes out of Juneau and around the hump just above the words Downtown Juneau in this google map.



 
And I continued a few more minutes until I got to this view and then came back down.  Since the noon meeting was canceled, I'm going to finish this and go enjoy the sun some more.  J went off somewhere before she knew I was free.  And I really have some things to do, but it's much too nice out.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. I think those blue flowers are Chinodoxa, a/k/a Glory of the Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GGinWI, I found this link and they sure look the same. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great time of year... FYI- Only the 1st day of summer and winter are called the solstices. The 1st day of spring and fall are equinoxes. No matter, enjoy the change of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, of course. The brain works in mysterious ways. Alaskans are supposed to have that hard wired in, but obviously I switched them. Thanks, I'll fix it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.