Friday, April 09, 2010

State Song and Campaign Expenditure in House Judiciary

I got to the Capitol as a new group of Alaska Americorps were being sworn in by Lt. Gov. Craig Campbell.  (At least that's who someone said it was.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know.  I'll check the pictures later.)  And the the whole legislature came out for a group picture.  And the sun was shining nicely.

Now I'm in Capitol 120, House Judiciary's room.  It is full with audience to support the adoption of the State Song's second verse which I've written about before.  I don't have time to put in links and pictures right now.  Will add them in later.
1:41pm  Ramras opens the meeting.  I'll add to this soon.

CONTINUED - the testimony was very long and very emotional.  I've created another post to cover it.  The committee is now - 3:24pm - discussing SB 284 - the campaign expenditure bill and Chuck Dunnagan is testifying about the section that addresses US subsidiaries v foreign nationals involvement in the statutes.  He's representing the Resource Development Council of Alaska, Inc.


UPDATE:  Here's how the committee meeting ended.

SB 284

Chuck Dunnagan - strongly argued that section five of of Sec. 10

Jasone Brune - Executive Director or RDC - Corporations spend a great deal of money in Alaska.  

Giving examples of foreign companies or Alaska subsidiaries with foreign nationals as officers would be prohibited from defending themselves  in initiative fights. 

Gruenberg:  Your basic argument is that it is unconstitutional to do this and I would like to know if there is any precedent to support this position. 

Brune:  I will assure that you have an answer tomorrow. 

Ramras:  We will continue tomorrow at 10am.  Holly Hill, are you with us?
Hill:  Here online to answer questions.


Adjuorn for the day. 3:46pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.