Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Anchorage Gets Noticeable Earthquake, No Damage Here

We were sitting at the dinner table when we both looked at each in recognition of the fact that the earth was quaking.  It wasn't big, it wasn't too long (a few seconds I'd guess), but there was no mistake that the house shook a bit.  The lamp above the table wasn't moving when I looked up afterward.  I've given up guessing the size because that's affected by so many things - like how far away it is and how deep it is and what kind of quake it is.  But if it was pretty close to Anchorage I'd guess it was in the 4 - 5 range.   I didn't check the clock, but it was probably some time between 7:05 and 7:20 pm.



I did go to the USGS site and report it. 

And now there's a map up at USGS.  And they report it as a 5.2 magnitude.

It's very similar to one I posted 11 months ago.

And for those who want to know more about the Richter Scale used to measure earthquakes, I have some information on that which I posted after the Haiti earthquake which was two points more than the one tonight, but with significant more damage. (Two points is 100 times more powerful.)

5 comments:

  1. I heard that southern California - Palm Springs, San Diego - had a quake this evening too: 5.4, I think. Was it at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked that was about 3 hours 15 minutes before the Alaska quake. Here's what the USGS site says:

    5.4
    Date-Time

    * Wednesday, July 07, 2010 at 23:53:33 UTC
    * Wednesday, July 07, 2010 at 04:53:33 PM at epicenter

    Location 33.420°N, 116.489°W
    Depth 14 km (8.7 miles)
    Region SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Distances 20 km (15 miles) NNW of Borrego Springs, California
    40 km (25 miles) SW of Indio, California
    45 km (30 miles) S of Palm Springs, California

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very close to the SD epicenter. It was big, but no damage. Then I saw AK got one right after.

    Is it our access to the news that's much better or are there more these this year, or am I just paying attention?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the USGS site. There are earthquakes happening all over the world all the time. Most are small and/or remote and do little damage. Also, a 5.2 -5.4 doesn't generally do anything serious in the US, but places with poor construction practices can have real damage. So, I think it's more awareness. 5.0 you feel. So two back to back in the same country gets attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, I would be scared to death if this happened in Hungary. We are not got used to earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.