Wednesday, December 06, 2017

AIFF 2017: I Just Need To Tell Everyone How Amazing "The Drawer Boy" Was

I'd heard from some programmers that The Drawer Boy was good.  The trailer looked promising and the fact that it was an adaptation of the most produced Canadian play was promising.

It was very good.  A group of actors descends on this dusty rural Canadian farm community.  Miles knocks on the door of a farm house and tells the man who answers that he's an actor and his group has come from Toronto to learn about farmers and write a play about farmers.  He needs a place to stay and in exchange he'll be a free farmhand.

But then near the end was as powerful a scene as I can recall watching.  I was pulled right out of my seat in the theater and into the story on the screen as I watched the drama unfold, the untold story pried out of Morgan's heart.  I wasn't in the theater any more; I was in that farmhouse kitchen sitting on the edge of my chair next to Miles wondering what was coming next.

I don't understand why this film was scheduled only once.  I'm hoping that it wins an award and is shown again as part of Best of The Fest.  There have been some very good films in the festival, but this one is more than special.

I know I owe you more of an explanation, but I'm still processing.  I can offer you the film's director, Aviva Armour-Ostroff answering questions after the showing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.